Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Week Four - Burke's Hunting Club

One of the reasons that we love living in Memphis is that it is so close to Clarksdale, MS. Braving the icy roads and freezing temperatures, the three Fiser amigos, Wrigley being the third, loaded up in the car and headed down Highway 61 to the delta.
Beginning of the Ice Storm

Bear with me. This post will require me to be a bit nostalgic. The Fiser side of the family has been hunting at Burke's for longer than I can remember. Some of my (Gray) fondest memories have been at Burke's involving hunting, fishing, riding four wheelers, or just sitting on the porch watching the Mighty Mississippi flow by. It will always be a special place.
View from the Front Yard

Ok, off of the nostalgia train...

We were going to leave on Friday night to get down to the delta, but a nasty ice storm decided to change those plans. However, there was no holding us back on Saturday. We hit the road around noon and got to Burke's around 2ish. The main road in the club has been under construction the whole season, so we had to go the long way to the cabin. By the long way, I mean the really muddy way. I've made it through the muddy way every time this year with out getting stuck, and proceeded to go that way. Well...what do you know...I get stuck. Wrigley is going nuts in the car and when I jumped out he jumps out too. Within two minutes I couldn't tell what was dirtier, Wrigley or the car. Luckily the caretaker at the camp was around and came and pulled me out. With that episode over, we went the other way and finally made it to the house.

My grandparents came down and met us at the club house and came bearing Wong's steaks, baked potatoes, and my grandmother's famous salad. It was just what the doctor ordered in the freezing cold weather. We had a wonderful time eating dinner with my grandparents and listening to them tell stories about when my grandfather was in the Army. As a side note...I highly recommend that if your grandparents are living to get them to tell you stories about the past. You quickly realize why Tom Brokaw coined them "The Greatest Generation". After dinner we lounged around watching the TV and then headed to bed.
Checking on the Apple Crisp!

On Sunday, I woke up early to hunt, and was to Sarah's delight, unsuccessful (she loves deer). Nevertheless, it is always fun the sit in the woods with the sun rising watching deer. When I got back to the house, my grandmother had cooked one of her famous "Grandmamma" breakfast for us. Biscuits, sausage, and the most unbelievable eggs you will ever eat. Honestly, they are the most fluffy eggs you will ever put in your mouth. After breakfast, we decided it was time to get ready to go. We loaded up the car and called it a Fiser 52 road trip as we headed back to Memphis.

See you next week!  Check out some pictures of the barges that came by the club...


2 Barges Passing on the River

Gray also has a new "helper" as he writes the blog :)

1 comment: