We loaded up and started trekking out east. Now if you aren't from Memphis "out east" means you are heading to the burbs. If "out east" were a math equation it would look something like this (out east=burbs=strip mall city). Basically everything is in a strip mall and there is very little character, BUT there is one little place that does have character. That place is called Las Tortugas: Deli Mexicana.
If you blinked, you would miss this place amongst all the nail salons, tanning booths and dry cleaning stores. From the outside you ask yourself what the big deal is, but when you walk into Deli Mexicana and breath in deeply you know what the big deal is. FOOD... and I don't mean burritos, tacos, or speedy gonzaleses. This place serves only authentic mexican food or at least that is what they say. I'll take their word for it. We stood in line for 20 minutes, but it was well worth the wait. We started with some guacamole that was unreal, continued with a tortuga (sandwich) and tacos that were even better than the guac, and washed it all down with a Pineapple fresca. Needless to say, we not only got our energy for errands, but we jumped all the way to that "I'm so sleepy because I just ate a big delicious meal" stage.
In all seriousness, if you live in Memphis or ever pass through I highly recommend that you head to Las Tortugas: Deli Mexicana. You won't be disappointed. See for yourself...
No comments:
Post a Comment